Monday, July 23, 2012

DIY Pennant Banner


In these last couple posts, I've been sharing my tutorials for the things I made for a baby shower. Today's post is for the pennant banner. This was very simple to make. Here is what you'll need:


White fabric (about 1/2 a yard)
Scraps in the colors you want for lettering
Twine or string
A sewing machine
Pinking shears to create the edging 
A fabric pen (disappearing ink is preferable)
Pins
A ruler, paper and pen.

Copy my drawing onto a sheet a paper using the measurements I've given you below


Cut it out and then use it to cut out however many pennants you need on your white fabric. Cut them out of the fabric using pinking shears to create that zig zag edge. As you can tell from my drawing the top is 6" across, the casing is 1.5", and the bottom measures 6 1/4 on each side coming to a point. You can play around with it to make it bigger, but this was the size I wanted.

After you've cut them out, fold down the top at the dashed line to the solid line and sew across. This will make your casing for your string to go through. 

Now, it's time to personalize!

I wanted some bubble letters for this little girl's banner. So, I googled "alphabet letter silhouettes" and looked at the "images" section. There are so many to choose from! When I picked out the one I wanted I free handed the letter using my disappearing ink pen on the colored fabric. This ink will disappear like 10 minutes after you write on the fabric so make sure you cut it out quick! The best thing about the pen is, I could play around with drawing the letter before I settled. After drawing each of the letters out, I did the same for the butterflies. I googled "Butterfly silhouettes" and looked in the "images" section to find the ones I wanted. I cut all of it out and ironed it on top of the fabric. I did not have anything to make it stick to the pennant, but I wanted a flat letter or butterfly. Once I got it where I wanted it, I pinned it to the pennant and stitched around it onto the pennant.


If you look closely, you can see the stitching around the perimeter of the shape. Make sure you iron though!!! You want your letter or picture FLAT! 

Then, I took a safety pin and threaded my twine/string through. I made mine a little long and tied a bow at each end. That way, the string was out of the way when I hung it, but yet it was still there in case she needed it longer when she hung it at home.


She loved it and so did I! I think I might make another one for my son's baseball room!


No comments:

Post a Comment